Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Derby Days

On Saturday my husband and I were up with the sun to run the Santa Anita Derby Days 5K. As we were driving to the race, a peacock crossed the street right in front of us! I decided that it had to be a symbol of good luck!



It was a chilly spring day in Southern California (okay, it was like 50 degrees but that is pretty cold here!) so I bundled up.



The race is an annual event and it was packed with runners and walkers of all kinds. After the gunshot, I just tried to navigate the crowd for the first several minutes until things thinned out a bit.

The race is the Derby Days race because it starts and ends at the Santa Anita Track. Mile One snaked up the street to the nearby Los Angeles Arboretum. Though it was a  little cool out, the sun was shining and it was a beautiful day so I enjoyed Mile Two winding through the arboretum. Mile Three took us back to the race track and we were weaving in and out of tunnels and finally around the track onto the dirt!



I typically run at the Rose Bowl, which is a nice and mild loop. I was not used to all of the hills and the changes in terrain on this course and I definitely felt it in my legs the next day!

After the race, my husband and I headed to Marston's, a local restaurant that is famous for its brunch and there is always a big crowd out front!



I was starving by the time we were seated and I really dug in to my whole wheat toast with raspberry jam and veggie egg white omelette. They were delicious and really helped me pep up for the rest of the day!




After quick showers, we headed back to the race track. With our entries into the 5K we had free entry into the full day of horse racing. We had never been to a horse race before and were a little overwhelmed! We perused the "beginners" brochure and placed a few bets.



It was exciting to watch the races and I got all pumped up cheering for my horse!


....And I lost....Three times in a row!

Oh well, I guess I'll keep my day job! It was a great end to the day though!

Today's Question: Do you bet on any sports? If so, what secrets/tricks/superstitions do you use when deciding who to bet on?

No comments:

Post a Comment